Question: Risperidone - how does it affect starting a family?

larkhall123uk - Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey ive been on Risperidone for just over a year now, due to me seing and hearing people that arnt really there.
my boyfriend and i are trying to start a family and i wondered how my medication would effect this?
im scared about coming off my medication but if i have to to start a family i will.
i am also on citlopram for depression
any information would be greatfully recieved
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi larkhall123uk,

To my knowledge, Risperidone has not been shown to be definitively safe during pregnancy. In addition, it frequently causes changes in the body's ability to process sugar and insulin, making them prone to diabetes, elevated sugar, fats, and weight gain. These alterations would be negative should they affect a pregnancy.

However, there are similar types of medications that your doctors could consider. The first is an older anti-psychotic (which is what controls hallucinations) called haloperidol. We don't use this medication often because of some side effects that can occur when used for one or more years; the length of a pregnancy makes this more of a moot issue. I believe, but am not certain, that haloperidol is considered safe during pregnancy. I will look this up in a medical library, and if you get back to me, I will let you know.

The second drug, called Geodon, is a newer antipsychotic. I am not sure if it is felt to be safe during pregnancy, but it does not cause the metabolic changes the Risperidone can. Again, I will research this for you.

Ultimately, you should speak to your psychiatrist and, if you are considering getting pregnant, speak to an obstetrician, to get definitive answers to these questions.

Good luck! Eliot Seigle MD

|