News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Risperidone - how does it affect starting a family?

larkhall123uk - Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey ive been on Risperidone for just over a year now, due to me seing and hearing people that arnt really there.
my boyfriend and i are trying to start a family and i wondered how my medication would effect this?
im scared about coming off my medication but if i have to to start a family i will.
i am also on citlopram for depression
any information would be greatfully recieved
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi larkhall123uk,

To my knowledge, Risperidone has not been shown to be definitively safe during pregnancy. In addition, it frequently causes changes in the body's ability to process sugar and insulin, making them prone to diabetes, elevated sugar, fats, and weight gain. These alterations would be negative should they affect a pregnancy.

However, there are similar types of medications that your doctors could consider. The first is an older anti-psychotic (which is what controls hallucinations) called haloperidol. We don't use this medication often because of some side effects that can occur when used for one or more years; the length of a pregnancy makes this more of a moot issue. I believe, but am not certain, that haloperidol is considered safe during pregnancy. I will look this up in a medical library, and if you get back to me, I will let you know.

The second drug, called Geodon, is a newer antipsychotic. I am not sure if it is felt to be safe during pregnancy, but it does not cause the metabolic changes the Risperidone can. Again, I will research this for you.

Ultimately, you should speak to your psychiatrist and, if you are considering getting pregnant, speak to an obstetrician, to get definitive answers to these questions.

Good luck! Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here