Question: Sudden weight gain/loss, Fatigue, Insomnia

ankiyani - Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:31 am

Hi, Im 28 yrs old. I have sleep disorder since 11 yrs now. I cant sleep, have problem of fatigue and sudden increase and decrease of weight within a day or 2-3 days. I have gone through various tests(blood, kidney, urine etc) suggested by docters, all of them were OK
It started back then when I had a sudden change in mood and thinking. I used to think all days and nights all the time about hypothetical things sometimes about religion, politics and so on.... I used to get very emotional at times while thinking and couldn't sleep the whole night. some other unusual things started to appear after sleep problem like I remember that I used to get a swollen body when i got up in morning and it slowly relieved as day passed. Still I have the problem that I gain and lose weight very very quickly and my face changes by time. Old friends have problem recognizing my face. The thinking issue has gone now gradually and now I don't have that furious thinking at all, I don't get emotional but still I cant sleep approx 3-5 days in a weak. All the body behavior changes frequently. Like sometimes I feel energetic and sleep is also OK and other times I I feel fatigued and very weak and I cant sleep, I lose/gain weight quickly, people can see a fatigued/weak face of mine at that time.I feel somewhat better if I eat/drink something and feel much fatigued if I don't eat/drink for sometime.

Initially I couldn't sleep for a minute and now its better but there are days when I get to sleep, I don't know how then I feel fresh, strong and like to work.. and sometimes I cant sleep for a whole week.
I have consulted many doctors, almost all give me sleeping pills which have no effect on me. I even cant sleep using heavy doses almost always. They haven't figured out the root cause. I don't use pills now and wait days for a natural sleep whenever it comes.

I do job, I am an Engineer. The sleep affects my work a lot. I really need your help to get my life going. I am waiting for a doctors help to live ........
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Dear ankiyani,

Your history is of symptoms of large fluctuations in sleep, energy, weight, productivity, emotional changes (mostly in the past), and a period or periods of thinking all night (in the past). These symptoms raise the possibility of a bipolar disorder, in which all of these symptoms are quite typical. Have you ever had a psychiatric evaluation? I would suggest that you obtain a current one, being sure that you have about two hours for a thorough assessment (may take place over two sessions). Do you have any family history for depression or bipolar disorder (what used to be called manic-depressive illness)? This is a common condition, affecting from 1-3% of the population, and it can be very difficult to diagnose, as there are many variants of it, and the symptoms can be quite subtle, and therefore difficult for the clinician to determine their presence or absence.

If you are satisfied that you've had a thorough medical assessment, which is important too, I would get yourself the best possible psychiatric evaluation. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|