Question: Sleep disorder? bad dreams and shaking uncontrollably

anubus84 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:07 pm

i have had a problem that i have never noticed until my girlfriend told me about it. there have been several times recently that i have had bad dreams and i will start shaking uncontrollably. it will wake her up and she will do her best to hold me and make me stop by comforting me. sometimes i wake up when she does this and sometimes i do not. sometimes i remember part of the dream, but most times, i do not. any idea on what this may be? i have always felt groggy and incoherent when waking up in the morning. i don't know if this has anything to do with that. also, it is very hard for me to get my legs comfortable. it has been going on for a little less than a year, maybe a little longer. it is almost like they are in pain. i find that taking them out from under the covers helps a little, but i just have to suck it up until i finally fall asleep. they are also uncomfortable when i am sitting down, and when i am standing around. any help is appreciated. thank you.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 pm

hi anubus84,

The second problem, the discomfort that you feel in your legs at night sounds like it may be what is called Restless Legs Syndrome. This is treatable with medication; see your family doctor or a sleep specialist.

The first problem, shaking and trembling at night, waking your partner, after which sometimes you remember a dream, and sometimes not, sound like they may be simply nightmares, though another possibility would be sleep terrors. Nightmares are usually well and vividly remembered when one wakes during it, while sleep terrors have very little content when something is remembered.

If you are having nightmares, you might ask yourself when they started, and if you have had any stresses that might be causing these. if so, it may be good to see a therapist about the stress.

If you are not having much stress, and you feel otherwise well, it may be okay to simply wait, and the nightmares may simply go away.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

|