News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I need help I think I have Social Anxiety

estefania - Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 pm

I have always been extremely shy even as a child with my mother at the grocery store she would tell me to ask some one for a price for her, I just couldn't do it and she would try to force me and i would cry. I knew i was being outrageous but I could not do it. Now I am 24 years old and I don't work and I quit school. I can spend weeks on end in my apartment. I cant go out to get the mail or throw out the trash or go to the store. I get my boyfriend or brother to do it all for me. This is causing so many problems for me and I don't understand it at all. If I am forced to go outside I get really hot like I am on fire inside my face gets hot and I start sweating and my heart beats so fast. even if I know I have to go somewhere like a week before it is all I can think about all week. I just keep thinking of ways I can get out of it. I want to go see a doctor but I have no insurance. Please if anyone can help me I don't understand why this is happening I need Help!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi estefania,

It sounds like you do have a serious anxiety disorder; I'm not sure whether it is a Social Anxiety Disorder, when anxiety is precipitated by people primarily, or if it is panic disorder with agoraphobia, in which anxiety is triggered by being out of the house, even if you're in a situation that you know will be people free. It is important that you be evaluated, because the treatments are different for the two disorders. Regarding finances, have you considered contacting your local community mental health center, where they have both therapists and psychiatrists, who can evaluate and treat you. They usually have generous sliding scales or one can use Medicaid (if you have and are US citizen). Alternately, a family doctor might feel comfortable treating you with medication, but be sure that the doctor is comfortable making the diagnostic clarification.

You are brave for talking about this, and please do what you can to obtain treatment or help to pay for it.

-E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here