News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I can hypnotize my Boyfriend and make him forget! Why?!

DreamCatcher 1988 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Firstly I'd like to apologise as this is confusing for myself so it'll certainly be very confusing to anyone who'll read it.

It happened again yesterday, by it I'm not quite sure how to explain. My boyfriend seems to erm lose all sense of memory of what has happened before I did it. By it I'm also not quiet sure what "it" is, when I first ever did it, it was by justa kiss and then yesterday it was more: an ear rub and then a kiss.

Ok, You're all probably thinking I've lost my mind, but I really haven't, I seem to be able to make my boyfriend lose his mind

The first time it ever happened was when we first started going out almost 5 years ago. We were kissing and just as I pulled away a noise was made, which made him erm close his eyes and shake his head. When he woke up he'd lost all recollection of the events leading up to the kiss, a whole day really.

When I told him he didn't believe me so I asked him to tell me things that no one else would know, I then made him "forget" and would mention the stuff I wasn't mean't to know. He'd be truely astonished by how I knew these things, yet he still didn't believe me, I also didn't believe I could really do it so I kept doing it to "test" it. I know this is wrong but wouldn't you want to see if they were having you on? After may times of doing so I realised he really was "spelled". we didn't ever talk about it for months.

Sooooo, yesterday we were messing about and I'm teasing him playing with his ear, he loves getting behind his ears rubbed, but this time it was different than usual, he did that thing again. Where he'd shake his head and close his eyes then "come to". We kissed and it happened! He'd totally forgot what had happened. I'm curious as I'm not sure what the hell is going on. I try to tell him and he doesn't really believe me so I get him to write something on paper in his handwriting, then we wrote the date and time on it. I then made him "forget", handed himt he note book with the writing it, he couldn't remember writing it. It started to sink in a little to him but he still wasn't sure, so I then made a video of him writing soemthing, me making him "forget" about it, and then him looking at it again for the "first" time. This freaked him out. Yes I know I'm cruel or whatever you want to call it, but I had to prove to him it was happening.

Notes: When he was given the notebook, he got a feeling that there was something there for him to read and that he'd read it before. He'd turn to the back of the book to the exact page!

I seen him today in work and asked him, if he remember anythign about last night he'd said he'd remember parts of it. He also told me last ngiht when I told him "it's back again" that he believed me the first time afterwards, as over time he began to regain memory.

This is not joke! I need to know what is going and why am I able to make my boyfriend lose him memory.

Sorry for huge rant.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Dreamcatcher 1988,

I've never heard a story such as yours; it is really quite interesting. It does sound like you are able to induce a hypnotic or dissociative state in your boyfriend. You might ask him if he has ever been hypnotized before, and if so, did it happen easily; some people are easily hypnotized. You could also ask him if he ever "loses time" periodically; are there periods of time that he can't remember what had happened? The latter would indicate the possibility of a dissociative disorder. This is more serious and should be investigated if it occurs with any frequency.

I would tend to avoid this process of putting your boyfriend into a trance or hypnotic state. Good luck. -Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here