News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: bad reaction to cannabis

rusher - Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 pm

im 18 and unfortunately made the choice to try weed. I did not enjoy the experience. I did not feel good. Time passed slowly, my mouth was dry which I have found to be regular symptoms. It is now 4 days later and I still feel bad. I feel disconnected during school and I forget some things easily. I also am having mood swings and ive come close to breaking down at the dinner table, feeling extremely uncomfortable. I feel uneasy at times and have times when, Im assuming, of anxiety. Also my head feels odd at times and some slight disorientation. I am becoming worried that my condition isnt improving and that I may start to struggle in school from lack of memorization and focus. Is something seriously wrong?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi rusher,

You've had a negative reaction to the marijuana, which remains in the body for quite awhile. Marijuana is often mixed with other drugs, which may be influencing your symptoms. I would suggest that you see your doctor and have a blood or urine screen for other drugs. Also, he might treat you temporarily for some of the symptoms that you are having.

Good luck! Eliot Seigle MD
 LemonTang - Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 am

Hey :)

It's interesting you brought this up. I can tell you that I had a similar experience.

When attending school I made the mistake of trying it. Within 5 minutes I began to have my first panic attack. It was horrific. I thought I was going to die. Effects of cannabis commonly last around 6/7 hours as far as I had been aware prior the above reply :) I went to bed still feeling these symptoms.

I returned to school and felt the dry mouth, derealisation and detatchment from everything. I could not concentrate and worried constantly. I had to leave each class as often as possible and even considered calling an ambulance for myself under the knowledge I shouldn't have had the effects I was having.

The longest panic attack I have ever had before I begin to relax has been 3/4 days long. This is worth considering.

Good Luck!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello, LemonTang,

I just wished to thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. It can be extremely helpful for those who post questions to hear of similar experiences from others. Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here