Question: Odd eating/sleeping habits, mood swings, irritability, fever

keller - Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 pm

I'm a male age 16, and very tall and lean. I'm currently not on any medications or anything of sorts.
Lately, I've been feeling very strange, and I'm concerned if there's something wrong with me... For the past two weeks, I've been having very violent mood swings, where I would become very depressed and extremely irritable, and even the thought of suicide was constantly popping up in my thoughts - I never attempted it, but the thought of it and how it could be done kept coming up. I get this feeling of hopelessness. Since then, I've also been having weird sleeping and eating patterns. I've almost become "addicted" to food, and I'll eat a meal and be full, yet still crave more food and continue to eat. I've also been having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep, and I've been waking up about 90 minutes before I normally do, then sleep through my alarms, which I normally NEVER do.

All of this has also been accompanied by some strange fevers, or at least "hot spells". Around 8PM each night, I start to get very warm and start sweating, and I feel my shoulders, forehead, arms, and stomach, and they're all considerably warmer. I've also had a sudden spike in sexual drive for the past two weeks. I don't know if this is relevant at all, but some of my joints also have started "snapping in and out of place" today.

I'm not sure if I'm just experiencing a normal life like everyone else, but I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be concerned about anything.
Thanks for your time,
Keller
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:12 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While your age does often get the blame for this sort of symptomology, and rightfully so, what you describe sounds like it is a good deal more than even what being 16 would normally cause. Seriously, what you're describing sounds as though it may be something that needs urgent attention. While you may be having fevers -- in which case this all could be related to something transient and possibly viral -- the rest of it really sounds as though it could be a rapid cycling bi-polar problem, something that you cannot afford to let go unexamined. If it's not, great. If you're found to have some sort of bug causing all this, great -- it'll pass. But because of your age, bi-polar disorder can sneak up on you in the midst of all the usual ups and downs of life, and then kick into high/low/high gear, which you have described pretty well.

You should be tested for a number of microbial, metabolic and other medical issues as well, but if you are going through a rapidly cycling period or status of bi-polar disorder, that would be the first thing you'd want to have resolved, and the sooner the better. There's no reason to hold back with this, either. It is a well-know disorder, it says nothing about your essential personality (or that you are "mentally ill" either) but is a physical disease with mental effects that can be intolerable and can really make normal functioning difficult. It is fairly easy to manage, and if you don't have it, then you'll want to move on to the next item on the list, but at least you won't have to worry about a really serious psychological disorder making your life far more difficult than it needs to be.

I hope this is helpful and that you'll get yourself to a doctor at once, to find out just what's causing these symptoms. Please follow up with us here. Good luck to you. I'm glad you brought your question to us here.

|