News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Nauscious Symptoms that are Stress and Anxiety Related

JDCaudle - Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:32 pm

I was writing because I was concerned about some certain symptoms I have been having that I strongly believe to be due to stress and anxiety. I missed my period last month, but have been tested for pregnancy which was negative. My doctor prescribed me klonopin for the anxiety attacks, however other symptoms have started to progess.
I have been experiencing acid reflux for the first time, along with what feels like a pulse in my stomach, extreme bloating, and occasional headaches. I have tried to look up the symptoms online but Im not having any successul findings. Any suggestions as to what might be going on in my stomach and what I can do about it. Should I just go to a doctor or are there in home remedies to solving these types of symptoms? Im really scared as to what might be wrong and with everything going on in my life Im afraid the stress might not subside for quite a while. Please help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time. Anxiety and stress-related symptoms can be really difficult to deal with, because often there is (as you suggest in your post) already something going on that's difficult enough, and then your body goes and gets involved and everything seems that much worse.

Anxiety and panic attacks are usually very responsive to Klonopin, but it won't necessarily resolve the other symptoms, which can be new and totally physical, but also can be aggravated greatly by stress, which is still there, even if the anxiety itself is under control. That's only part of the challenge.

The symptoms you describe, while common enough among the general population, are often seen more frequently in people suffering from chronic stress. The Klonopin seems like a good choice for the anxiety/panic attacks, but you should be treated symptomatically for the other problems as well. For instance, whatever might be prescribed for acid reflux might well help relieve the bloating and this might even help reduce the severity or frequency of the headaches. If not, acetaminophen (Tylenol) should help the headaches. I'd normally recommend something stronger, like Advil or Aleve, but since your stomach is already upset you might not want to risk irritating it more with one of these.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up as needed. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here