News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Uncontrolable Yawning-

OjibwaChick - Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello,
I don't know if this nusance is psychiatric in nature or not, but I'll start here.
Whenever I begin reading aloud to my children or students I begin yawning over and over again. It only occurs when I read aloud and I cannot finish a sentence without yawning at least once or twice. Any ideas?
Thank You
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello -

This is a more common problem than you might think. Yawning is usually a reaction triggered by the brain's wanting more air. When you're reading you may be very relaxed, or in a physical posture where your air intake is compromised, and just by virtue of reading you are expelling more air and using more energy than you would just sitting there quietly. Also, if the atmosphere in which this takes place (for instance, a room with less-than-ideal ventilation) is slightly wanting in oxygen you may get the same reacton. You could, of course, also be fatigued at a certain time of day, but it sounds as though it is the act of sitting and reading which causes this, and that alone really does make a certain amount of sense. Practicing deep breathing at other times may help increase your vital capacity just enough to help reduce or eliminate this. Regular exercise may also have the same effect on vital capacity. If nothing else works, you might want to have a physical with blood work to make certain you're not anemic, also, as this often is a hidden cause of frequent yawning.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 OjibwaChick - Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Many Thanks,Ojibwa Chick

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here