News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I stopped drinking, other impulse disorders worsened.

mathair4 - Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 pm

I have been in recovery from alcoholism or alcohol abuse (depending on whose dignosis you use) for about 5 years. I have noticed that since I stopped drinking, my other impulse control disorders have worsened considerably. I have mild OCD and dermatillomania, as well as fingernail biting. (I also have been treated for depression for about 20 years). Curiously enough, about one year ago, I suddenly stopped the nail biting but my dermatillomania is so severe it takes hours of my day and my scalp is covered in scabs!! Fortunately, most other aspects of my life are now happy. I know dermatillomania doesn't cause nearly as many problems in life as the alcohol, but is it a healthy trade-off? It seems with serotonin and dopamine problems, all my disorders are interrelated, but is there a way to cure all of them at once so I don't chose one self-damaging behavior to replace the other?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:51 am

User avatar Hello,
I assume you have seen a psychiatrist and been evaluated for the OCD. There are medications to help regulate the neurotransmitters. This might help, if you aren't already being treated. It may also help to find some hobbies that use your hands and keep them occupied. Many people (men and women) find it is therapeutic to do needlework such as crocheting, knitting, or embroidery. A support group can also be helpful. You may check with your local NAMI organization to see what might be offered. It is helpful to talk with others who have similar tendencies and share what has worked for them.

You are absolutely right that these other disorders are much less damaging to you than the alcohol use but there's no reason you can't overcome these as well with the right treatment and support. Congratulations on your success with this serious life-damaging alcoholism and good luck.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here