News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: migraines a mental health condition

kazza26 - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm

just had to ask this because i think someones winding me up here.i suffer migraines .now i know a headache is normally caused by muscles in the neck and migraine is caused by blood being restricted to the brain or something like that,.now i know some people who suffer migraines can also get bipolar as well,but i was told that migraine in its self is a mental health condition,surely not.i feel an idiot asking this question because common sense tells me it isnt
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello -

Please don't feel foolish asking questions, at least not here. We have a saying in the emergency medical services that "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask." I can clear this up for you pretty quickly. While some people with bi-polar disorder may have migraine (and I suppose vice versa as well), there is no direct relationship between the two. Migraine is a complex syndrome, usually including severe headache (but not always any headache), which is caused by the dilation of blood vessels in the intracranial area and the scalp. It is not even remotely a psychological condition. Someone is either "winding you up" or is badly misinformed.

I hope this clears things up for you. Best of luck to you.
 kazza26 - Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 am

hi thanks for your reply ,yes i did think that migraine wasnt a mental illness.Mind you it can drive you insane at times.depression runs through my family but luckly enough i havent got it.i assume i suffer migraines anyways and ive not mistaken it for a normal headache.i do suffer headaches now and again but it just feels like someones pressuring me on my head in the middle and i can cope without meds,with what i think are migraines i get a kinda dull pressure in one of my eyes i think thats my warning sign and if i don't get some form of pill 2 get rid of it,i get an awful pain centered around my eye and spreading to that half of my face it feels like someones put a knife in my eye and they are twisting it and it gets worse as time goes on,i cant stand any noise at all and always end up in a dark room where i will lay face down on a pillow as pressure seems 2 help it,i know ppl who have migraines who see flashing lights before they get it,which makes me think is it migraines i am suffering,anyways thanks for your help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:18 pm

User avatar Hello again -

Sounds like classic migraines you're suffering. Some people have them often enough that they can become depressed just from the suffering involved, which of course isn't the same thing as clinical depression, but it's no more fun, either.

Best of luck with this. Thanks for the follow up. Let us know how things go.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here