Question: migraines a mental health condition

kazza26 - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm

just had to ask this because i think someones winding me up here.i suffer migraines .now i know a headache is normally caused by muscles in the neck and migraine is caused by blood being restricted to the brain or something like that,.now i know some people who suffer migraines can also get bipolar as well,but i was told that migraine in its self is a mental health condition,surely not.i feel an idiot asking this question because common sense tells me it isnt
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm

Please don't feel foolish asking questions, at least not here. We have a saying in the emergency medical services that "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask." I can clear this up for you pretty quickly. While some people with bi-polar disorder may have migraine (and I suppose vice versa as well), there is no direct relationship between the two. Migraine is a complex syndrome, usually including severe headache (but not always any headache), which is caused by the dilation of blood vessels in the intracranial area and the scalp. It is not even remotely a psychological condition. Someone is either "winding you up" or is badly misinformed.

I hope this clears things up for you. Best of luck to you.
 kazza26 - Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 am

hi thanks for your reply ,yes i did think that migraine wasnt a mental illness.Mind you it can drive you insane at times.depression runs through my family but luckly enough i havent got it.i assume i suffer migraines anyways and ive not mistaken it for a normal headache.i do suffer headaches now and again but it just feels like someones pressuring me on my head in the middle and i can cope without meds,with what i think are migraines i get a kinda dull pressure in one of my eyes i think thats my warning sign and if i don't get some form of pill 2 get rid of it,i get an awful pain centered around my eye and spreading to that half of my face it feels like someones put a knife in my eye and they are twisting it and it gets worse as time goes on,i cant stand any noise at all and always end up in a dark room where i will lay face down on a pillow as pressure seems 2 help it,i know ppl who have migraines who see flashing lights before they get it,which makes me think is it migraines i am suffering,anyways thanks for your help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:18 pm

User avatar Hello again -

Sounds like classic migraines you're suffering. Some people have them often enough that they can become depressed just from the suffering involved, which of course isn't the same thing as clinical depression, but it's no more fun, either.

Best of luck with this. Thanks for the follow up. Let us know how things go.

|