News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: please help! severe depresion and panic atatcks

papuca - Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 am

Hi, I'm a 28 years old female....recently divorced,well, separated.
I had my first panick attack at age 25, but after a year all simptoms stoped, until this August.
Please understand, that even if I'm going through a divorce, my life is nice, I should be happy!! I have the best boyfriend somebody could ever ask for, the support of my family and a great job. Instead of beeing happy, here I am
having panick attacks and depresion.....
By panick attack I mean, I start to feel soooo restless, nervous, I can't find my place, a feeling of burning comes up in my head....and the feeling that I fear most is that I feel like biting my tongue or even I have a feeling that I should hurt my eyes.....
I also can not meet new people lately(this affects my job as well,I'm working in reception)... I get really panicked when it gets to meeting new people.... I get a feeling like I'm all burning up inside and I can't act normal,my hands start shaking and sweat. That's why I didn't meet ANY of my boyfriend's friends or familly.... and I'm runing out of escuses and reasons for this....
I didn't talk to anybody about this and I feel that I'm going crazy... am I going crazy? I don't want to end up in a mental hospital... I am in love and should be happy ....please help.............
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi Papuca,

It does sounds like you have some type of anxiety disorder, perhaps panic attacks (panic disorder), or what is called a social anxiety disorder, or even components of both. Panic disorder and other anxiety disorders are very common, and they can occur even in the absence of stress. It absolutely does NOT mean THAT you are going crazy, though most people feel as you do; it FEELS like going crazy, because it's so scary and one feels out of control. The good news as that your anxiety disorder, be it panic disorder or otherwise, is very treatable, to both cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy and medication. Many people need both treatments together. Medication offers the option of quick improvement, and psychotherapy will allow you to develop the skills to prevent attacks. You are on the right track, I suggest that you contact a local, recommended psychiatrist through your local hospital or through people that you may know. If there's a long wait, you can even contact your primary care doctor; he may be able to give you appropriate medication quickly, pending the psychiatric appointment. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here