News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Stress Causing Physical Pain

ravenous_wolf - Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:24 pm

At first I thought that I had a hernia or some kind of severe pain and it is documented in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=25745

However, the urine and blood tests and the CT scan with the solution going through my interal organs showed that absolutely nothing was wrong.

However, I still have a sharp pain but it is lessening. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I am also sick to my stomach about worrying if I will lose my job and that I have too big of a mortgage to pay for. In some ways, I think I may have made myself sick since the test results show that nothing is wrong with me.

I know that I cannot eliminate stress but any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I do have a lot of concern about my job.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:02 pm

User avatar Hello -

You show great insight in recognizing stress can cause sometimes profound physical symptoms when "nothing is wrong"' otherwise. While stress cannot be avoided in most cases, it can be managed. There are numerous stress management techniques which are too complex to go into in a forum of this type, but a good starting place often is to see a psychotherapist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. This is a self-limited form of therapy as a rule anyway, and someone who practices CBT can often teach you relaxation and stress management techniques in fairly short order which you can do on your own to help relieve some of the situational stress.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as necessary.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here