News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Irrational Fear of other peoples spit on me

mowgli618 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:04 pm

I have this irrational fear of other peoples spit on me. Once my husband licked me from the bottom of my spine to the upper middle of my spine. I almost started crying and having an anxiety attack. Does that mean it is a phobia or something?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Hello Mowgli618,

In general, it's natural to not want other people's spit on you. Since you didn't mention any examples other than your husband, it's difficult to tell if your fear is irrational or just idiosyncratic. Based on the example you gave, I would have to say yes, you have some degree of phobia. If it does not prevent you from your normal daily activities, it is mild to moderate. If it does prevent you from normal activities, then you should consult your doctor and/or a mental health professional. There are certain medications that can help, if needed. It would be important to tell your doctor when you first noticed the fear, and what you were doing at the time. I hope your husband has accommodated your dislike of licking.

Good luck to you.

Faye RN MSW

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here