Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: How to overcome withdrawal symptoms of Diazepam

JFrost - Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 am

Hi everybody and Doc's i have been taking Diazepam pills for last 20 years of 5 to 10mg doses on a daily basis , i want to stop taking these pills as their side effects are hindiring my work and social life.

At the moment i am having withdrawls, could you please advice me on how to handle them? do i need some medicines to overcome the withdrawals? at the moment i am taking Ativan 2mg pills as a substitute but i have read it too has the same long term side effects and it is not helping me.

Thank you for your time

Take Care and God Bless You.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi Jfrost,

I strongly recommend that you work with a doctor to help you safely taper very gradually from the diazepam. Your doctor may simply help you gradually lower the dose over a period of a month or so. It's important to have medical supervision due to the risk of a dangerous withdrawal syndrome. You do not want to simply stop suddenly ("cold turkey") taking the diazepam. Some physicians would simply taper your diazepam gradually, and others might substitue an similar medication called chlordiazepoxide and then taper that slowly.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

|