News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: My Girlfriend lost her ex to a drug overdose

johnnieblaze - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:44 pm

My girlfriend lost her ex almost a year ago to a drug overdose. She hasn't seen a doctor or psychiatrist. She still has nightmares from time to time, the last a few days ago. She also still has pictures of them together up all over her room and his jewelry on. Im sure this is making it harder to for her to learn to deal with it. What is the general rate of time for someone to begin to come to terms with something like this? We have been dating for about 8 months now and imagine it time for her to start letting go of some of these things. Not get rid of them, but put them aside and begin new with me. Is there anything I can do to help her deal with it myself? Any info would help
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Hello,

Your girlfriend is still grieving the loss of her ex. There are no specific time lines for grief. Some people are able to move on rather quickly, and others take more time. It is positive that she has formed a new relationship with you, although she maintains a connection to the past through pictures and jewelry, etc. There are a number of things that your girlfriend could do. In many areas, there are support groups for Survivors of Suicide, which you could attend with her if she would like. She needs to see a physician or go to a Mental Health clinic to be assessed for medication treatment and talk therapy. Your role is limited to encouraging her to get appropriate help. You can gently share with her your concerns and how you feel about the memorabilia she maintains, but it sounds like she needs professional support at this time.
Good luck to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here