Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lexapro - Appropriate Dosage

Wegas - Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm

My friend was prescribed Lexapro for depression. He has taken medication for depression in the past, but it has been more than 5 years since he was medicated. He began experiencing anxiety and depression about a month ago and was presribed Lexapro almost 3 weeks ago.

He is taking 10 mg of Lexapro twice a day. He is in his third week of medication. He is exdtremely lethargic, sleeping 10 + hours a night, napping during the day, and not at all himself. He has become withdrawn and rarely talks. The sleeping is not as troubling as his personality changes.

I think he is over medicated. Everything I have read, including the packaging on his prescription says "1 tablet daily." He says his Doctor prescribed Lexapro twice daily. Although there is no prescription per se on the packages he received from the pharmacy.

I asked a friend who has been a pharmacist for 25 years and dispenses Lexapro daily. He thinks the doctor may have written the prescription incorrectly.

My friend is hesitant to "question his doctor" and is not being rationale about this.

It seems to me that beginning with a lesser dosage of 5 mg or 10 mg a day to begin with would be the more sensible approach with an increase later if necessary.

What do you suggest? Does 20 mg a day seem too much for an initial dosage?

If I can show him a response from you, I think he will then consult his physician.

Thanks much.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi Wegas,

Often Lexapro can be started at a dose of 5-10 mg/d and this is an adequate dosage. It would be important to determine if your friends's lethargy is due to the original depression or came after he was treated with the Lexapro. if it is new since the Lexapro was begun, it very well may be a side effect, and it may be appropriate to lower the dosage. In any case, it would normally be important to discuss possible side effects with the prescribing doctor. While 20mg is often appropriate for some patients, it can be too much for others. I would encourage your friend to talk to his physician. You are clearly a good friend!

-Eliot SeigeMD

|