Question: Inner voice intentionally distracts my thinking process

volume - Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:33 am

I am 19...th e biggest scare i have for 5 years is that i will not be able to focus when i need to(when i have a test,when i speak to somebody) and probably be hurt(by a car,by somebody else,won't be able to take job---,won't be able to socialise).I know this are negative thoughts and they hurt me i feel it (i become noxious,my stomach hurts,feel with no energy)..but this is what it really stresses me...that this negative thoughts hurt..i can not controle negative thoughts wich in turn make me feel sick.... The fact that negative thoughts have such a destructive power and that i don't know how to control them makes me very stressed...(i say in mind:....negative thoughts!....what to do..this negative thoughts will make me feel sick,noxious stressed...i am starting to feel noxious...it has begun...i feel the effects..but i don't know what to do to stop this...but i don't want ot be stressed..and it goes on).
What do you think is the problem?
I just can not deal with negative thoughts....For example i think what if i wouldn't be able to relax...and start to feel tense and i am not able to relax no more...and can not get away...
I thought of this five years ago and since then i haven't fully relaxed...
Another example. My therapist said i need to relax..so he said close your eyes and imagine yourself..observe yourself without doing anything..I can not do this..because of my neative thoughts.. when i try to imagine myself i see a fragmented picture...i can not see it continous..like i used to..and it is not clear at all,i can bearly see myself ..i am in a shadow...(this is what happens when i try to imagine my self standing)...
i do everything like 30%..(somebody says you must relax...i relax just little,because of my negative thoughts)
Somebody says think of a solution(i think slowly,get stressed,in a instance i think of a solution,next instance i feel stressed and don't think of it...next instance i try again to think of a solution...next instance i feel tense..i say oh my god i can not think ...and i can not think o f the solution...)Instead of continous thinking i have a fragmented thinking...that is very nasty
What do you think is the problem?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi volume,

It sounds most likely that you have a type of anxiety disorder. The anxiety disorder may be generalized anxiety disorder, obssessive-compulsive disorder, or one that is not further labelled. It sounds like this is causing you a lot of distress and unhappiness, and your therapy may not be working for you, if you've been attending for a long time (many months or more).

I would consider seeing a psychiatrist for a complete evaluation to assess for these different anxiety disorders as well as the possibility of depression and other disorders After you have two or three sessions (which is usually needed to establish a diagnosis and treatment plan), your doctor can suggest the treatment plan. This may involve a partiuclar type of psychotherapy which addresses the disorder that is plaguing you, medication, or both.

It seems that you've been very brave and direct in discussing this, and I'm confident that you can get some help that will be useful for you. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD
 volume - Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:12 am

For years ago i started thinking how we concentrate when doing different tasks(speaking,driving,thinking of a solution).But then i thought what if i wouldn;t be able to focus anymore so since then i am always stressed about this.
When i try to focus on something(thinking of a solution for certain problem) i intentionally distract my thinking process(one instance i think of the solution next instance i distract my thoughts..then i get stressed i can not focus and i don't know why i distract myself intentioanlly...this is very annoying..Imagine distracting my thinking 10 times a minute...When i forgot about this problem i manage to focus without distractions but very rarely..
When i distract my thinking i say something like this "wwa,schh, etc" but i feel the inner voice wich says this and distracts me it's not mine it' somebody else's.

Everything that is important for instance concentration makes me nervous because i think what if i can't..and then starts what i said...
Doctor how medication will change my thinking?
 Shafiq - Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 pm

i have got exactly the same problem as u volume. I keep having negative thoughts in my head like what is going to happen to me and why do people ignore me. I cant sort out my life and a whole lot of other thoughts. it somtimes goes away when my friends call me and i m spending time with people i like but this time it has stayed with me for about 2 weeks and it really is stopping me from enjoying the things that i normally would enjoy.

|