Question: Starting to worry myself because of unusual behaviour

Crapulence - Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 am

Hi there, I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with my GP because I'm starting to worry myself now.

Basically, the last few months my sleeping has been more atrocious than normal. I have real problems getting to sleep unless there's something like a film that I know well going on in the background. I find every excuse I can think of not to leave my house unless I really have to, and I don't really enjoy doing things until I'm doing them (if that makes sense, like shopping). Don't particularly enjoy socialising with people either. I just seem to be annoying myself thinking negatively like this too. I exercise over 30 minutes every other day and walk everywhere as I don't have a car. If I go to my GP are they likely to tell me I'm just being stupid, because when I explain things I have a tendency to laugh nervously and make out that I'm just being silly. What do you suggest I do? Thanks so much.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi crapulence,

It sounds like a good idea for you to see your GP or to see a psychiatrist to discuss how you are feeling. You may be experiencing a depression or another condition. Try not to worry about laughig nervously, everyone does that often, and you can let your doctor know that you do that when you are nervous. You are brave to bring this up, and the way you feel is certainly in no way silly or to be dismissed. Your GP may be able to give you are referral to a psychiatrist, and that is often the best way to establish the diagnosis and recommended treatment plan for yourself. Good luck, and try not to delay, you deserve to feel better.

-Eliot Seigle MD

|