Question: Are Nardil and Lamictal an effective combination?

mickapoo - Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:50 pm

I have been on Lamictal 300 mg for about a year and half. The nurse practitioner at my psychiatrist's office felt I maybe was borderline bi-polar with ultra rapid cycling. Some have told me, "you're up, you're down, you're happy, you're sad... I never know which one of you I'm going to get".

Recently, I was put on Nardil for social phobia. I also suffer from depression so my doctor was hoping the Nardil would help with that as well. Other treatments such as SSRIs have not helped my social phobia. I have been on 75 mg for the last 14 weeks. It hasn't provided any relief. Should I even bother trying to go up to 90 mg if 75 mg hasn't helped at all? I don't understand. I thought Nardil was supposed to be the "gold standard" for SP. I was told that on the Liebowitz scale I have "very severe social phobia".

I've been quite depressed lately with maybe a day or two of feeling just "normal" and then feeling depressed again. I will start crying at the drop of a hat and then a few minutes later feel ok again. Could this be caused by some sort of interaction between the Lamictal and Nardil?

Thank you.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi mickapoo,

It does appear to be an appropriate recommendation from your provider to increase your Nardil dose, as the 75 mg dose may simply be below the threshold at which the depression may have a response to it. Everybody's body is different and doses always need to be individualized. Someone may have no improvement whatsover until they find this "threshold" dose. I am not aware of any interaction between Nardil and Lamictal that would make you more depressed; both medications are effective for depression, and the combination may be better than either alone.

I would also ask whether you are receiving psychotherapy in addition to the medications. Often, medication alone is not adequate for resolving depression. Please consider this if you are not receiving this. Good luck!

E. Seigle MD
 mickapoo - Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Thank you for your response, Dr. No, I have not received any type of psychotherapy.

Even more so than the depression. I suffer from social phobia. My physician has said I am the most severe case he has ever had. In any event, I have tried almost every SSRI, benzo, etc... until my psychiatrist said Nardil was known to be one of the most effective drugs for it. I've been at 75 mg for 6 months now.

I have not received any sort of relief from the Nardil for my phobia.

He has mentioned CBT for me in conjunction with a medication. Are there other drugs that you are aware of that may be considered more effective than Nardil or Parnate for treating social phobia?

Thank you.

|