News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: i am scared i might lose control over my life

Shafiq - Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 pm

i am 25 years old with depression. I have been very worried lately that i might never recover and worse days are yet to come. i act as normal as possible and people don't c my depression unless i tell them but i am scared that people might start noticing there is somthing wrong with me . plus my memory is getting bad and i keep forgeting who played man utd or chelsea this weekend and after a hard think i remember . i was never like this before. can a doctor tell me if this is because i m noticing my forgetfulness more or is it not normal to forget things that happened three days ago..i concentrate too much on my actions and memory and stuff and i start thinking there might be somthing wrong with me and people might start noticing this
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Hello Shafiq,

The symptoms you describe can sometimes be explained as within the symptoms of depression. However, the intensity of your fear suggests you may have developed an obsessive mindset. The most helpful thing you can do is to see your doctor and a mental health professional, so you receive the most appropriate treatment. There are certain medications that can help you, as well as some behavioral treatment. If people notice your symptoms, you have no need to feel embarrassed or inferior. Try to consider your condition as the emotional equivalent of a broken bone. Getting appropriate treatment should help control your symptoms.

Good luck, and see your doctor soon.

Faye RN MSW

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here