News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Can less than 37.5 mg Effexor be affective

cmarie112 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:38 pm

I just started Effexor 3 days ago on the lowest dose 37.5 mg. I don't like how it makes me feel, fuzzy feeling in head, dizzy spells, insomnia, dreams, and nausea. On the positive side, I have already noticed an improvement in my depression, so it seems to be working. I was on Effexor one before approximately 10 years ago and I stayed on it for only about 6 months and had no problems getting off. I am hoping to be on this for only a couple of months until things in my life hopefully improve. Here are my questions:

Is 37.5 the lowest dose made, if so, can I open the 37.5 mg. capsules and dump some of the granuals out and still get some of the relief from depression but maybe less side affects?

All of the people that seem to be having horrible withhdrawl symptoms really frightens me. I was lucky last time and had no withhrawl affects at all. Would you think that since I didn't last time, that the odds are in my favor that I won't this time as well?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
If you give the medication about three weeks to settle and for your body to adjust and you still have unreasonable symptoms, it would be best to talk to your doctor about possibly changing your medication to a different form. Effexor does come in smaller doses as tablets (which may need to be taken more than once per day) or change to one that has similar properties, since you know this one is effective. I would not advise dividing capsules. Some meds are easily halved, but often capsules are designed to be time released and it would be difficult to divide exactly besides changing the mechanism of action over a time period.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here