Question: Drug causing Anxiety

Omni - Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:59 am

Hello, I am a 28 year old male. When I was 24 years out I was recently out of the Marine Corps home from Iraq. I was maybe a little bit careless and hung out with a girlfriend who brought over some Absynthe which I believe was made in Canada. This is the first and only drug that I've taken in my life.

I did not hallucinate or feel any effects from this drink/drug. The one thing that I do remember is about 30 minutes after drinking I stood right up faster than you could imagine, panicked about something. I stood there looking around like there was some sort of impending doom. This was the first time that I've ever had this feeling in my life. My father does suffer from anxiety and some other family members on my father's side of the family as well but this was my first interaction with it.

The strange part happened about a week later when we all went to go eat at a Denny's restaurant. Right after drinking a glass of Coke I had to excuse myself and rush to the bathroom. I was breathing fast and I had to calm myself down by splashing water on my face. I wasn't sure if I had to vomit or if it was some other type of illness but it was definitely an impending doom type feeling.

For the last 4 years I've felt different stages of anxiety and through trial and error I have related them all to any form of Soda. Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Unfortunately I was raised on soda and it's definitely and addiction that I'm trying extremely hard to break. I do well for a short period of time and get back into drinking it again. When I'm not drinking it I feel great. I can concentrate, I'm happier, I'm able to function. When I'm drinking it, I feel sleepy, I can't focus, I space out, my anxiety goes crazy.

It was a lot worse the first year. When I first walked up a set of stairs I collapsed and had heavy breathing. Shortly after I had to take two weeks off of work because It was impossible for me to stay awake for more than 4 hours at a time. I couldn't exercise anymore because of course my heart rate would go up so much that I would think I was having an heart attack. I wouldn't be able to follow simple directions and get lost or confused easily. And I've noticed that my vision has blurred since the drinking incident which gets worse when I drink soda. My body has gone numb once and it even strained my relationship with my wife because when we went out to dinner and I drank the soda my mood would change and she thought that I wasn't happy with her. I'd even get anxiety when I was in a dark movie theater or a small room like a sudden rush of claustrophobia.

Currently I'm 80% better than I was 4 years ago. I either learned how to control most of it or I'm getting a little bit better but I still have cause for concern and want to know if there is something inside me that's causing me to get ill, something that I should take medicine for or is it something psychological or maybe a bit of both?

I've obviously done some searching on the internet for soda related illnesses that would fit my symptoms but have come up empty. I've seen a doctor once and went into great detail about my issues and he stopped me in the middle and just told me it's anxiety and prescribed me medicine which I took for 1 month. I believe that taking those meds for one month is what helped me see what normal was like and started my turn for the better. But I can't shake the fact that this can't be a coincidence and soda is effecting me internally.

I know the easy solution is stop drinking cokes but I can't promise that. I'm working very hard on it but I can't promise that I will. I thank you for taking the time to read my novel of problems. I also know this can probably sound like it's all in my head and I need to just get over it (this is the Marine in me talking now). I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
 Tim W Latsko - Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:22 am

Is it possible that you maybe suffering from post traumatic stress disorder? It sounds like you might benefit from insight-oriented psychotherapy and a physical from your physician to rule out a medical condition associated with the symptoms you presented. r/tim

|