News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I have an anxiety disorder, who can prescribe meds?

gloweyez - Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:09 pm

I have had anxiety disorder (undiagnosed) since I was in middle school. That is when I noticed it. It got much worse in highschool... full blown panic attacks. I would get so anxious/very nervous in the morning to the point where I would start throwing up.

In college, I found something that has helped me (xanax). .5-1 mg per day. I feel like a normal person without crazy fears,anxiety, nervousness, panic attacks (on occasion)

My question/concern:

Now I am ready to enter the workforce and I am afraid of getting hired at the job of my dreams but failing the drug test because of traces of benzos in my system. I am looking to work in the health/fitness/sports field and I am pretty sure they will do a drug test and knowing my luck,,,, they will test for benzos.. I am stuck because I do not know what to do at this point. Should I have a consult with a mental health professional so they can diagnose me and prescribe proper medication? Or should I tell the doctor before my physical exam and drug test of my anxiety and xanax? Will that affect my chances of passing the drug test since my meds are not prescribed? Help.

I
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Gloweyez,

Taking unprescribed medications for an undiagnosed condition is not wise. Your best action is to discuss your situation with your physician so that a diagnosis is established and appropriate medications prescribed. Continuing in the way you are going will certainly count against you in the situation you describe. Once that is done, reporting it to your employer along with the prescribed medications that you require will eliminate the issue of drug testing.

Good luck in your job search.

Faye, RN, MSW

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here