News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: detoxing at home

darknhnsm - Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I am about to detox at home from opiates and am afraid and anxious. I don't know what I can do to help myself or relieve symptoms when they come on. I don't know how long it will take until I begin to feel better (I have to go out of town in 7 days and I'm afraid I won't feel well enough) My addiction is moderate and it's lasted for about 9 mos now. I have no insurance or access to medical attention or prescriptions so this will be cold turkey. I guess my main question is will I be able to function 7 days from now? And the next would be what can i do to ease the discomfort?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
I do not have the answers you seek but could recommend an online resource designed to help. http://www.soberrecovery.com/ Your chances of success on your own are slim but with some support system you improve the odds and can succeed. Congratulations on your desire to stop the use before it gets worse and ruins your life. You might also call your local mental health agencies, community health centers, local health departments or help lines that might be available in your community for people such as yourself. These agencies might have funding for substance abuse programs. It is definitely worth a try. Look in government pages of the directory, specifically for your local departments.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here