Question: I get large surges of fear when thinking of going out

AlexB1001 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:31 am

Recently I have developed a pretty nasty problem, which is the quick and hefty surges of fear/dread I experience when I know I'm about to go out or am told I am going out later.

This all started as a product from my acid reflux - before it was diagnosed, as I didn't know what it was, I would dread going out in the evening because I would know there would always be a 50% chance I'd experience nausea so bad I'd have to return home.

However, especially as now I know how to control my acid reflux, I still (it's actually getting worse) get throbs of panic when I know I have to go out. It's not that I don't have a good time when I do - in fact I usually enjoy myself quite a lot when I do, but it's the simple thought of "going out" which sends my stomach into a writhing mass of fear. The worst is when I have lots of events planned in the day - going out in the morning, going out in the evening - when I know there's a lot which I have to do I actively get nauseous.

This fear is more common when thinking about going out with friends, rather than family, surprisingly.

Please help me - my social life is being ruined because of the fact I lived in fear of my acid reflux, and now I'm living in fear because of this!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:19 pm

Psychotherapy can help! Many times these irrational fears, often called phobias, begin as justified reasons but they get out of control. See a therapist who can help you work through your fears. You may even benefit from medications for the anxiety. Don't become a hermit when there is help available and your chances of success are great.

|