News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Is there a good natural remedy for bipolar disorder?

doublejarvis - Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:41 am

My mother is going through menopause, and also suffers from (I think) a form of bipolar disorder. She's reluctant to take medication, but it's become something that affects our family in a significant way. I think that she would be open to a natural remedy or vitamin...are there any that you would recommend?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
I know of no vitamin to stabilize a person with bipolar disorder. It is important for your mother to be evaluated to get a proper diagnosis. You are right that she could be having both problems, but it could also be just related to menopause. In either case this can be treated and I hope she would not be afraid of medication. Many of the meds that we use are actually "natural" in that they come from naturally occurring elements. Lithium, commonly used for bipolar disorder, is a natural element. Just because a drug manufacturer markets the med, it doesn't mean it is unnatural. There are various forms of natural or synthetic hormones to help with the emotional fluctuations of menopause. She should see her gynecologist first and discuss the various options. Some supplements marketed as "natural remedies" are in fact more dangerous than their man-made counterparts and they should be used with your doctor's knowledge to be sure they do not counteract the effects of other medications or aggravate the condition you are trying to fix.

In the end, it will still be your mother's choice whether or not to treat. Seeing the doctor for diagnositc purposes does not mean she has to follow his/her recommendation. Knowledge is important and it will be her choice whether or not to get treatment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here