Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Tapering Off WellbutrinSR

red roses - Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 am

I have been taking WellbutrinSR (150x 2 Daily) for 9 years. I'm wanting to discontinue and want advice on a taper schedule. My family Dr. suggested going to 250, 200, 150, 125, 100, 75, 50 over the next 7 months. This seems like a very long time to taper off, could these time frames be shortened? My pharmacist suggested 300 to 150 to 0 in 2 weeks. That's a big discrepancy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 Jeffreytn - Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 am

Most doctors worth the money you pay them will intentionally set what seems like an unnecessarily long tapering off because going off of any med, especially antidepressants, is different for everyone, and can have some VERY serious withdrawal symptoms. This is to me the only medically (and morally) sound option. If your doctor sets something that's too slow for you, he can reduce it faster if he sees you're handling it well. If he sets something too fast for you, he runs the risk of making your life miserable, and possibly forcing you to go back up to your original dose anyway.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Hello redroses,

Jeffreytn has given you a fairly good response, but I will add to it. Your pharmacist does not appear to be recognizing the length of time you have been taking your medication. It is wise to use caution when discontinuing a medication like WellbutrinSR because it directly effects certain neurohormones in your brain. When discontinue too quickly, there can be physical and/or psychological symptoms as a result. The best approach for you is to ask your doctor for his rationale in the progressive weaning plan. After discussing it with you, he may be willing to do it a little more quickly.

I hope this information helps you resolve your issue.
Faye, RN, MSW

|