Question: Morbidly Obese Female Exhausted Sleeps 16+ hours

slowlydrowning - Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:01 am

- late 30's caucasian female middle income
- diagnosed with anaemia after hysterectomy (so have low iron & no children)
- depression since 1991.
- morbidly obese with a BMI of 50
- i do not care enough to lose weight as food is my only friend

but I also have been "somewhat" diagnosed with bi polar and/or borderline personality disorder. i am angry at people if i venture outside and aggitated by the littlest thing. i have a VERY poor memory (used to be excellent I remembered everything).

unable to work for one and 1/3 years. I cannot deal with administration work or how people in the office treat me (who are of course thin and beyond reproach). they think I am dumb/do not listen to me. I have an IQ in the 130's so i am NOT dumb.

SLEEP WAY TOO MUCH

all kinds of depression from mild to the most severe where you physically cannot get out of bed. Right now on Effexor the depression is ok however I am basically a night owl so i sleep from say 3am to 2pm and then get up for like 3 hours then sleep for another 4 hours and get up for tv and then computer/bed. And on Mavik for my high blood pressure which is generally bad.

I have zero energy. No one in my family has any sympathy. This is NOT the kind of "oh i am tired because i have 17 kids/work too much" tired. This is the kind of "my body/brain drags me to bed without a choice". I mean i could lie on the floor and be asleep. however i DO not drive when tired and i NEVER fall asleep driving.

Sadly there are SO many reasons I might be tired that I don't even know where to start. And of course sleep apnea might exist too.

I did go to a psychiatrist for a couple months (she was of no help) and i went to see a psychologist (he was great) for a trial into group session therapy. he helped the most but he wanted me to go to group sessions weekly in the morning (which in NO WAY can i get up for) and i don't like people in general. and he would not see me one on one which was too bad. plus the cost of gas and driving there all the time is another difficulty. and then there is homework (and i can barely get dressed, get something to eat let alone do homework) and the last guy i saw would not commit to the same day of the week/time to see me (i need order so as to remember things)

If anyone has any ideas i really really need to hear them. I do NOT have any of the symptoms people mention when ill such as headaches, strange pains, no bathroom problems, rairly get sick/flu, no stroke, no heart attack, no blood transfusions.

the only other strange thing is i have open sores that tend not to heal fast (well i must admit i pick at them too as part of my ocd i guess) on my arms, legs and boobs. so they are kind of gross. but other than being fat and the tiredness i am pretty ok. i feel like a loser just for writing this... i used to be 135 lbs (even when you are miserable mentally NOTHING beats being thin!)
 Tim W Latsko - Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 pm

It sounds like you are ready to make significant changes; that said let me encourage you to start seeing that pyschologist/therapist as their schedule permits as long as you benefit from the frequency until you can find a clinician who can meet with you on a regularly scheduled basis. It sounds like you benefited greatly from group, that will probably be a worth another try. With all that in mind, it sounds like you are aware that a change in your diet and exervcise is necessary. This is up to you, there is support available, and you can do this....the only failure is the failure not to try......please keep us posted and follow the guidance of your treating professionals.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:35 pm

I am confident you have several ongoing issues that need attention. I wonder if you have considered gastric bypass surgery for your morbid obesity. This is a health issue as well as causing psychological and employment problems. You should know that you can still enjoy food after this procedure; you just don't need so much of it. I would encourage you to investigate this possibility. This has been shown to be an excellent solution for many people with greater long-term success than other dieting methods for the morbidly obese. Risks of Type II diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea are also reduced with significant weight loss.

Dealing with the psychological concerns is an important first step, as Tim suggested. But, if you could find a good solution for the obesity you will probably find many of the other issues are easier to deal with.

I am not implying that you need to be thin to be successful or happy, but losing some of the excess weight would help your health and quality of life.

|