News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: EFFEXOR, IRRITABILITY AND LOW SEX DRIVE

timid_tiger - Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:36 am

Hi there,

I have been taking effexor for a few years. I usually only take 37.5 as it does a great job. However, my doctor,not my usual doctor suggested doubling the dose as I was experiencing irritability. Since doubling the dose, I still experience irritability and now my sex drive is at an all time low. I'm 30 years old. I have just started to take b complex tablets as I thought this might help the irritability. Before I used effexor I used St Johns wort which was fantastic until I became immune to it. Though while on St John's wort I never experienced a low sex drive or irritability.

My poor boyfriend has to put up with me.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi timid_tiger,

Yes, the increase in your Effexor dosage was probably responsible for the decreased sex drive. You should consult your regular doctor regarding the appropriate thing to do. What might be typically done in your situation might be one of the following:

1. take 75mg one day alternating with 37.5 mg on the second day, continuing to alternate every day.

2. Add a second antidepressant, typically bupropion, at a dose determined by your doctor (typically 100 mg is a starting dose) (also see #4, below)

3. Engage in psychotherapy to see what might be worsening the depression, restoring your EFFEXOR TO THE FORMER DOSE

4. MIGHT SWITCH THE EFFEXOR TO BUPROPION IN LIEU OF USING THE TWO OF THEM

GOOD LUCK> -E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here