Question: OCD - Debating thoughts

potatoman - Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:26 am

I have been suffering from OCD for quite a while now and have been on 60mg Fluoxitine and receiving treatment from a psychiatrist which has helped enormously!

I have however come to an issue which has really gathered moss and gotten bigger! When on holiday I was rolling around with a girl on the beach. Now because I have OCD, I worry about the slightest thing...particularly safe sex. For the first few days after I could have sworn I did not have sex or even begin to have sex with her. then the seed of doubt grew in my mind.... I could remember the night and MOST of the events and so I say to myself... 'how can I remember something which I never did.' And if I had sex at all....I would remember that one! Ive gone over it time and time again which I know is the worst idea however because I cant be 100% sure,.... it scares me to think that Im fathering a child. Her english wasn the greatest however she told me she took 'pharmacy' and showed me pills... This should clear things up... even if I did do what I don't think I did... surely shes on the pill. One thing that then creeps into my mind is ' what if she has a prescription bulk morning after pill and hasnt taken it because I never went through with sex....or stopped before anythin happened.

I jus really need reassurance that there is no such thing as a packet of about 12 or more morning after pills that can be bought anywhere and that they can only be bought individually from a pharmacy,

Sorry if this sounds silly... its the OCD and I know that whats causing the problem but it just always creeps into my mind and ruins my mood whenever I get happy!

thanks in advance!
 Dr. K. Eisele - Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:43 am

User avatar Dear potatoman:

Wow! Okay, if I understand correctly, you did not have sex, right? If that is correct, then it doesn't matter what kind of packaging the morning-after pills come in, right?

To my knowledge they do come in only individual dose-packs, but if you did not have sex then it doesn't matter. I think perhaps you are focusing on the wrong detail here. If you were intoxicated that might explain your poor memory, but somehow, I don't really think that's the issue.

Good luck to you.
 potatoman - Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that I would have no need to worry if I didnt have sex however the slightest doubt in my mind that i did at least begin too still bothers me... Im pretty sure I didnt but OCD dosent really accept "pretty sure." I hate it cause I know that for about 5 days after the incident that thought never even crossed my mind about if I started having sex or not...hmmm
 Dr. K. Eisele - Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 am

User avatar Dear potatoman:

I do agree that you probably do have OCD. The important element of your worry is that you know this is not rational, one of the diagostic criteria of OCD, which you clarified for me. Now, any care provider with prescriptive privileges could write a prescription for a "bulk quantity" of these pills, but that is very unlikely. It is also possible that even though the morning after pill is sold as a one-use only dose-pak, the girl could have purchased more than one of them.

The bottom line here is that your illness, OCD, is causing this obsessive thought pattern in spite of nearly adequate treatment with fluoxetine. I think you need to seriously consider adding on to regimen some psychotherapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) works well for obsessive thoughts, as well as does dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT).

Good luck!
 potatoman - Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey

Thanks again for the reply. Currently receiving CBT youll be glad to hear and have been but had to stop it recently cause went away travelling. The pills she had were in a packet of about 20+ in one of them foil things you pierce to get one out and they were smallish.. morning after pills are bigger than them i think and not sold in packaging like that Am I right??

Thanks again for all your help! Sorry if Ive been a pain!

|