Question: Numbness in lower legs (below the knee) - Wellbutrin?

ikush - Mon May 05, 2003 10:15 pm

I have a question for all of you. I plan on going to the doctor eventually to address this, but I won't have time for a while due to school, work, etc. I am a healthy 20 year old male, and for the past three weeks or so, I have had constant numbness in my lower legs (below the knee). It's not complete numbness, I can still feel if something touches it, but it just feels slightly numb and somewhat tingly. I am not experiencing any pain or anything like that, and I can still walk, run, jump, etc. Do I have cause for concern? Is this something that needs to be addressed immediately? Any ideas what might be causing it?

Also, I have just recently started taking wellbutrin, and that's the only change in my diet or medicine. I doubt that has anything to do with it, but I just thought I would throw that out there.

I would greatly appreciate any help, as I am worried about this.

Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 am

User avatar Dear Ikush,
A few questions for you: Does the numbness affect both legs or just one of them? Do you have any condition other than depression (e.g. diabetes) or take any other medications?
 Anonymous - Wed May 07, 2003 1:57 am

It affects both of them, though, oddly, not all of both legs, just certain areas. To the best of my knowledge, I have no conditions besides depression, though it is certainly possible that I have something that has not been diagnosed. I am not on any medication at all other than the wellbutrin.

ikush - Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 am

Oops, forgot to log in for that last post. It was me, however.

I would really appreciate any insight you might have.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 07, 2003 2:30 am

User avatar Dear Ikush,
According to the information you provided my best guess would be that this is yet another manifestation of the psychological pressure you are under. Most of the known causes of parasthesias follow a certain pattern, however, this is not the case with you. So I would forget about it if I were you. However, if this continues to worry you or increases in any way, you could have a neurologist examine you.
My best to you.
Dr. Tamer.

|