Question: Extreme anxiety and phobias because of weight gain etc

michellecharlotte - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:29 am

So, I've gained about 15-20 kilos in the last month/s or so, and I'm now overweight. I can't see any reason I would be overweight to this extent. I eat fruit and vegitables, meat breads and cheese, in fact all six food groups as my fiance is a bit of a health food nut. I do eat 'junk' food, but no more than anyone else. I also work at a cafe, which means I stand on my feet alot, i do most of the housework at home, if not all of it.

My weight gain is causing me to be very anxious about almost everything, I'm doubting my partners love, because I'm fat, and I wonder why he would want to be with me, I'm getting so bad I don't want to leave the house anymore, and I can't sleep and when I do finally fall asleep, I don't want to get up. In the last year or so I can't stand going to work, and I get really anxious before I go, unusally a few days before. I now only work six hours a week, and I still can't stand it. It's not my job though, it's a good job. I can't seem to concentrate on anything latly, I don't' want to spend time with my friends, especially the skinny ones that have 'good' lives. I feel like I don't get enough sympthathy from my friends and family, but they all tell me I'm just 'making a fuss about nothing' and when I go to the doctor - which i can't stand - I always get the same answer, 'eat better and get more exersise' - I was going to gym, in fact I still go, and I always try to eat right.

I know that if i was thirty kilo's lighter I would be much happier with myself, I'd be able to concentrate and I'd probably feel more deserving of love. I get angry because people don't want to take me seriously, and I feel like I have to resort to extream measures (smoking, drinking coffee, starving myself) just to get something to work. I feel so guilty everytime I eat something, and I try to stop myself from feeling hungry. I'm also having panic attacks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Hello, Michellecharlotte

You are certainly having a difficult time. The constellation of your various symptoms of increasing anxiety suggest that you are feeling more and more out of control of your life. There are no simple answers, just as you identified in "eat right, get more exercise". I believe your problem is beyond self help, and that you would benefit very much from a psychological evaluation and treatment to help guide you back to feeling in control of your life. While it is difficult for you to see a doctor, it is essential that you see a mental health professional for assistance. Medication may help, but would not address the underlying issues that are causing your distress. You had the strength to write to this forum, and I believe you have the strength to pursue psychological treatment. Call and make an appointment, and then keep the appointment as a vital first step in getting you back to good health.

Faye, RN

|