Question: sex addiction and depression

president - Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 am

when growing up, my fantasy was sex. i thought about sex all the time though i wasn't getting any. my idea of nirvana was being naked in bed with a beautiful woman even though my libido is low.

my concentration in studies and work was hampered by sex thoughts but i believed I would be in charge once I got into a perfect relationship with a woman. i visited prostitutes many times every time promising it would be the last time. i also masturbated frequently.

i visited a psychiatrist in 1999 complaining of low productivity, excessive sleeping and fatigue. he said i was suffering from depression and put me on Zoloft. my situation improved somewhat but did not change much. after a few visits to him, i stopped.

in 2004, i went to another doctor and this time i mentioned the issue of sex ideation. My impulsive visits to prostitutes had become worrisome. He assured me that there was nothing wrong with my sexuality. He then put me on Veniz(venlafaxine) . This improved my productivity slightly and for a whole year, I never went to a prostitute.

i have lately, considered my sex situation a medical problem without advice from a doctor. i have put myself on Veniz for the last 3 days, having read that it is indicated for OCDs.

Now, I am lost. I neglected career development and investments in pursuit of sex. I am bankrupt with no money and no skills but i have high learning capacity.

The questions:
Is sex addiction or obsession really a problem?
Can it cause depression or does depression cause it?
What is the solution to the problem?
Are there circumstances under which suicide is justifiable?

thanks
 Tim W Latsko - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:03 pm

First and foremost s~ is not an option and should you be considering suicide pls go to a hospital for treatment.

Based on your narrative your desire and preoccupation with sex is a problem as it has negatively impacted your financial and occupational areas.

Which came first depression or addiction; based on your presentation I believe that your depression came first and the sex addiction is a symptom of that depression. That said......

I want to encourage you to meet with a psychiatrist for an evaluation for medication and a referral to clinician who treats depression and sexual compulsions. ood luck and keep us posted. Tim

|