News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Losing control of "me"

wrxn240sx - Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 am

I feel like I'm losing control of my conscious mind. I'd say I'm about 60% out of it. It's been progressive for about a year now. It's like my subconscious mind is controlling me. I am losing "me". VERY scary. The only reason I think I haven't 100% freaked myself into a clinic is becasue I know I can't fully bring the concept of what's happening to me to my consciousness. What's happening?

Im 19 years old. I quit smoking week jan 1st and just drink on occasion now. I feel like a stroke victim or something. I have forgotten how to be social. Even my dad told me I don't seem as smart as I used to. Everythings crumbling apart. What can cause this both mental and maybe physical. I have a fear of becoming schizo. This is VERY VERY serious. If I could even wrap my head around how bad I've become since the previous "me", I'd probably be having non-stop panic attacks...
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi wrxn240,

You may be having an unusual reaction to stopping smoking, or perhaps you had a reaction and it triggered a further condition such as depression. It is true that there is a withdrawal syndrome from nicotine, though it is not usually as long as what you are experiencing. In addition, nicotine, being a stimulant, when suddenly withdrawn may involve trouble concentrating, trouble with short-term memory, negative mood, irritability, and restlessness. You might also consider that there is something else causing or at least contributing to your symptoms. Are you having any stresses, changes, or losses in your life? Is it possible that you are feeling depressed? These are just questions to consider, and you might want to consult with a psychiatrist. This could help you to obtain a good understanding of whether this is due to stopping smoking, or that an episode of nicotine withdrawal may have triggered some depression or ADHD-like condition. Or, perhaps there is another explanation for what you are experiencing.

People are often afraid of seeking psychiatric help, thinking that it means they are "crazy"; please know that this is rarely the case, and really represents an unreasonable social stigma. In the mind of many, to seek help is a sign of courage and wisdom. Good luck!
- E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here