News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Forgetting simple things

davidrjohnston - Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:35 am

My mother has suddenly started to forget things - things she has always been able to do. She forgot for instance how to switch her car lights off. She seems more subdued at the moment and keeps saying I know there is something I need to pay, but cant seem to remember what it is. Even if I give her triggers to remembering what it is she cannot remember.

Just before this happened, she was stressed because our family were going away for 2 weeks as she did not feel she could join us because the journey would be too much for her. She was then on her own for this period of time.

I am hoping this is a temporary problem caused by stress, but I am really worried that it is something more serious.

What advice do you have.

Thanks.
 Tim W Latsko - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Based on your presentation a visit with her primary care physcian is in order to verify that she is in good physical health given her age. Depending on her age this may be part of the aging process, which would then suggest some other disorders. the best course of action at this point is to have examed by a physician. good luck /Tim

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here