News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Switching from Paxil to Zoloft

Granny - Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:38 am

I 've been taking Paxil since 1994. It has worked well ,but, the weight gain is
horrible. I am switching to Zoloft, hoping that will work. I have weened myself off Paxil, and I have been Paxil free for seven days now , with minimal side effects. Inablity to sleep must be a side effect, since I am awake @ this hour posting this question. How long do I wait before I start the Zoloft?

Thanks!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Granny,

I assume that a doctor is directing how and when you should switch to the Zoloft. I cannot make a recommendation to you personally, but in most cases similar to yours, the Zoloft would have been started as you were tapering the Paxil, or if not started yet, it would be started now. This avoids you being wihtout any antidepressant in your system, which may currently be the case. In any event, if your doctor agrees, you might start the Zoloft now.

-E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here