Question: 62 yo 'tough guy' male cries too easily

stressedvet - Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Father died in 2003 from health problems. Mother died Jan 6 2008 from auto accident. Unexplained lack of mourning or grief on both occasions. Up to and through death of Father, had balanced life until death of Mother. Her death obliterated family dynamic with me and youngest brother. Strained dynamic with middle brother. I have been chronically depressed for decades. Death of Mother obliterated my life as I knew it. Am now entirely alone, living in a new town, know no one, .. I isolate and experiencie high anxiety. I do not work due to a PTSD disability. I have no obligations, belong nowhere, and have no personal connecton to anyone. Do not feel grounded. On medication (Mirtazapine and Bupropion HCL). I know they are effective by prior experience without medication.

Specifically, I want to know what to do about my being on the verge of tears almost through all waking hours. Any drama can bring me to tears (TV shows, commercials). Drama can be even mildly tragic or comic. Simple conversation with someone can often contain 'break/crack' in my voice and I have to repress urge to cry, realizing there is no rationale to it.

Don't know if this is grief, my confirmed major depression, anxiety, or what. Don't know if I need another medication or dose adjustment, or what. Don't know if I just need time to pass. I cannot come to a reason ... it is (to me) some kind of irrational response going on.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:48 am

Hi stressedvet,

It sounds entirely possible that, on top of what you have termed a state of chronic depression, you may be experiencing grief, in response to the deaths of your parents, in particular, almost exactly a year ago, the death of one of your parents.
Oftentimes, grief recurs on or around the anniversary of the death of a loved one.
In addition to grief, you may also be having an increase in symptoms of depression, and/or feelings related to the multiple losses and the extreme isolation and lonliness that you experience. I would strongly recommend that you consult with a therapist as well as talking with your psychiatrist about your medications. Medication alone is not likely to be enough, though.

Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD

|