Question: WHEN to call 911??

Healthyandzen - Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 pm

''As always, if you feel like harming yourself or anyone else in any way, you must immediately call 911, or go to the nearest emergency room.''

I guess i understand the concept but... when to know if Im about to commit the act? When I start ''playing'' with my knife? I do it often but im never willpowered enough to do it. When i contemplate my pharmacy at home and remind myself of that time when I swallowed 25 acetamenophenes? What was i thinking? and yet, often enough i feel like doing it again... only thing that prevents me ... my daughter. And if i ever feel im really gonna do something to myself, i should go to the hospital and say what? i cant imagine doing that, i have the impression they're gonna laugh at me. most of the time i cant explain why i turn in such a dark mood all of a sudden and start contemplating harming myself.
so what would they be able to do for me?
Im sorry but i can see something happening... coming soon...and i dunno what to do about it. thanks.
 Dr. Rashmi Ojha - Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Well...its good to know that even though you are having thoughts to hurt yourself, your daughter is keeping you from doing it.

Yes, you are always told to call 911 or go to nearby emergency room because we want to utilize each and every possibility of saving a human life. If you go to the hospital or call 911, you just have to say the reason why you donot feel safe. Police will drop you to the emergency room and after evaluation they will call their expert person who knows how to deal with a situation like this. Which includes any kind of mental health provider who assess your risk and takes appropriate steps to help you. Be it admitting you to the hospital for your safety, giving you support, guiding you to outpatient follow up or providing you with a set of good listening ears. Only thing that they are not going to do is "laugh at you". We know people get these kind of feelings and helping them go through this is our bread and butter so "please do not be ashamed to ask for help".

|