Question: Insomnia and anxiety recovery question

stabilo boss - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:45 am

I first started suffering from very severe insomnia and anxiety about 6 years ago, this was related to relationship difficulties, I got very ill very quickly. I have now been pretty much free from the anxiety for over a year but the years of Insomnia (5-6 days straight with no sleep causing immense discomfort was usual) have left me with a pounding and what feels like irregularly beating heart and really terrible tension in the back and shoulders and most unpleasantly in the head focused particularly behind the bridge of my nose (if i move my head around it makes cracking noises), this tension gets tighter and tighter throughout the day and is present from the moment I wake to the moment I fall asleep, these synptoms started suddenly about 15 months ago after a period of 5 days straight with no sleep, when I was in a level of discomfort that was pure hell. I still suffer quite badly with Insomnia but it has improved significantly over the past year. I am desperate to recover as life is not worth living in this state, I would be very grateful for any suggestions or insight.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 am

Please have the irregular heart beat evaluated as well as the back and shoulder problems. I am not so sure that the anxiety is the original cause of these symptoms. I say this because as you stated, the anxiety is resolved. Also the insomnia is not as big an issue as it use to be.

An irregular heartbeat can be caused by stress and anxiety. However, if it is persisting after the anxiety is over, then you should consider having this checked as it should not continue this way. Especially seek attention soon if you have any symptoms with the irregular heartbeat such as any kind of dizziness, light headedness, pain in the chest/arms/back/jaw areas, sweating, shortness of breath or nausea.

You probably need some xrays or other tests on your back/shoulders in order to be sure you do not some kind of problem with the vertebrae.

Debra Van Ness RN
 Tim W Latsko - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Dear stablio boss;
I'd like to add to Ms. Debra's post.

It sounds like your anxiety has not resolved and that you will benefit greatly as Debra pointed out with a physical exam as well as an evalaution by a psychiatrist or therapist/psychologist who works closely with a psychiatrist for an evaluation and possible referral for medication.

Many of the symptoms you presented are suggestive of severe anxiety and can be efffectively treated with psychotherapy and medication. One on the most important symptoms you presented is the inability to intiate and maintain a healthy sleep pattern.

You can achieve a healthy sleep pattern with the appropriate invention, go-ahead and schedule that evaluation with your physician and ask for a referral to a mental health clinician.

Good luck..and keep us posted...Tim

|