Question: no medical help, but lots of medical mistakes

mimishi - Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:48 pm

I'm hoping you may be able to help me. Yes, I have a primary doctor whom I like and admire, however she's not helping me and insists on depression. My medical history includes 2 peritonitis, both almost fatal, the first due to medical reluctance to treat pain in a timely manner, telling me it was ovulation cramps, the second time due to a "surgical mistake".
Since my last surgery over 10 yrs ago I have been in constant pain from frequent small bowel obstructions, but mostly from a degenerative arthritis and disk disease. I have lost weight, down to 128 and no muscle tone nor strength. The weakness is almost as bad as the pain. 3 or 4 times a year I've experienced frightening pain in the left quadrant of chest, rt arm and jaw, lasting up to 3 minutes, but then going away.
About 3 mos ago I began experiencing pain between my shoulder blades. I was put on Remeron which has helped my depression, but hardly helped my physical state. I am 57 and am mistaken to be 70. Three wks ago I was awakened by a terrible pain under my left shoulder blade and left arm, feeling as though I'd been shot. I couldn't remain lying down, could not hold my arm in any way comfortably. At that time I went to the emergency room and was given 2 shots of dilaudid (1 did nothing), sent home with 2 Rx for Skelaxin and Diazipam for muscle spasm. No Xray was done, nor deemed necessary. Both medications have not helped and I have discontinued them, but the pain is now much worse, especially upon wakening and located not only under the left scapula, but under and down the left arm. The norco I take regularly helps but only for about 2 hours. The dull pain down my left arm is now constant and the tightening pain under the arm and behind the scapula are getting worse in the mornings.
Yesterday I noticed a small swelling under the left arm, not in but above the armpit, the small lump is soft and painless to touch. I am also beginning to experience pain in the inner thighs which feels like a vein pulling taut inside, not dissimilar to the pain under and down my arm, but less severe. I have not found any other swellings either in the groin or neck areas.
If I am told once more that I am depressed or need to lighten up I don't know what I will do. I'm a veteran of suffering and pain, and neither do I enjoy. The surgery of 92 cost me my job with the UN in Rome, my income, my life. I'm still "waiting" to "recover" and beginning to lose hope as I fail to find someone who actually listens to these symptoms and direct me to a proper specialist.
If someone would please take the time to look at my med history and read this post carefully, any advice or comments or observations would be very appreciated, I'm at the last straw.
 kat - Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:49 am

hi mimishi,

i just read your post and wanted to reply and say im sorry to hear things have been so tough on you. im not a doctor or anything just someone else who has posted on the board but i know if you look back here and no one has replied you feel like no ones read your post. it can be so hard sometimes if you feel so poorly and some doctors just don't seem to be taking it seriously or just brushing you off, i hope someone can help your pain soon. take care Kat xxxxx

|