News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Should I feel guilty do i need help

ajaybird - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 am

I witnessed a drunk driver a few days ago swerving on both lanes of a highway and he pulled into driveway.I told him not to drive and i called highway patrol.I really didnt call them i just didnt want him on the highway.He left anyway so i then called 911.The dispatcher told me to keep following him so they would be able to intercept. He started driving real fast i think to get away from us.I was still on the phone with dispatcher for about 15 minutes when we lost him he was going too fast.Highway patrol arrived and i told him we lost him.I then left the area and got a call they got him and i needed to come back and make a statement.When i went back there was a bunch of emergency personnel there and i had to walk down hill to meet highway patrol.Well the careless driver that we had followed and that i had just talked to was down an embankment and partially ejected from his vehicle dead and I seen him.I am screwed up now.I keep telling myself he could have killed someone else,but then if we didnt follow him he would still be alive I think.I almost feel like a murderer.the dispatcher told me to keep a visual on him the whole time.I wish she would have told me not to follow as we gave her a description and license number.Now I cant sleep or eat right and feel really sick.What should i do?
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

ajaybird; No you are not responsible for that person's death and there is no need nor is it necessary for you to feel guilty.

I want you to understand that at the time the driver took his first drink, he made the decesion to place himself at risk; he then exponentially increased that risk with subsequent drinks and then he chose to drink and drive. You are not responsible for his choices.

It maybe beneficial to meet with a therapist or psychologist who specializes in trauma. I hope this answers your questions.

Keep us posted....and take good care..../Tim
 ajaybird - Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Thank you so much for responding to my question. I am feeling a bit better now.I have been telling myself I was only trying to prevent injury or death to him or others.It was just an unfortunate outcome but, he could have hurt or killed others,also.Thanks again

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here