Question: What type is my depression?

TyJahcil - Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 am

My mother and my brother have both been diagnosed Manic Depressive. I don't have the same depression that they do.
I have the depression episodes. But I don't have the manic episodes.
I get sad.
I get sad to the point that I can't get out of bed. I have even gotten sad to the point that I have tried to kill myself.
I haven't tried to die in over a decade. But that doesn't mean I don't want to.
But I get out of the depression. And life is ok, not good, but ok.
Then I fall back in.
It seems to go in cycles, but not the same cycles that my mother has.
I feel pretty much OK, but (unlike my mom and brother) I never feel really good.
Then I feel like there is no point to living.
I feel that way for a while, then I come out of it.
I don't feel happy. I never feel really happy, but I feel like I can cope and face the hell of living. Then I feel sad again.
I know I have a depression disorder.
I know and that's all that helps me face the bad times.
But honestly, I don't really know what's wrong with me
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:34 am

You need to get a complete psychiatric work-up. You could have major depression but it is possible to have bipolar even without the extremes that you have seen with your family members. This is why it is impossible for us to say what will be the best treatment, but clearly you need medication to help you to function normally. It can take quite a bit of patience as it takes trial and error over several weeks to determine the success or failure of treatments. Do not despair, eventually the doctor will be able to find something that will improve your quality of life if you will make this effort. That alone can be difficult when you feel sad and depressed but it is crucial. You are worth it! Reach out to someone you trust who can help to encourage you or get you in to see a doctor.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.

|