Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Out of Effexor and Pharmacy is to

lizzie_d - Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 am

Let me start by saying that I'm currently in Iraq, so I only have access to one pharmacy and one PA.

I have been on Effexor XR for some time now and ran out today. We had tried to order more from a larger Camp, however it has not arrived yet. The PA gave me some Celexa to take, but flat out told me that he didn't really know anything about these kinds of medicaitons.

I am wondering if it is okay to just switch to the Celexa and if there will be side effects of the quick switch?

Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:38 am

I would not expect any serious concern over switching the medication. Both can be very effective and are in the same category - SSRI. It is not surprising that the PA is not familiar with these because there are many and it takes a specialist to know the fine tuning of prescribing. There are some that a quick switch could be harmful but to my knowledge this is not one of those. MAOIs are a category that sometimes requires a break when changing, but the SSRIs can usually be switched from one to another without concern. If this continues to control your symptom, and is more readily available, you should be fine with the change.

|