Question: My chronic pain is starting to get to me.

problems101 - Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 pm

hi,

I've had some very bad nights lately with my (over 1 year) chronic pelvic pain, I'm on antidepressants, gabapentin & pamelor, I have vicodin for flares and just started myofascial massages. Mom just got out of the hospital, and my sister is asking me to help her with her son. I honestly need help myself & don't want to be mean but I can't help others right now. They can't see my pain & don't realize how drugged up I am during the day and can't wait to get home to go to bed.

My flares are getting more painful & frequent & I'm frustrating myself with thoughts of never getting cured. My one doctor said -- I won't get cured this is what chronic pain is all about. I'm frustrated (not sucidal but I've told my husband if something happens don't recessitate me), It's just pain, it's not like a cancer or anything serious.

Part of me is ashamed that It's hard to put a full day in at work, I spend alot of days in bed or on-line searching, hoping someone new will take my case. The only reason I'm not fired is because I work for myself in a family business, so in that way I fortunate, but I'm told not to lift, because it will cause flares.

It's hard to stop doing something I've always done & took for granted, I'm a 41 year old female and feel so unable to help myself.I see senior citizens in better shape than I feel.

The one doctor who had been trying to help me has suggested I get into meditation, So I guess that means he can't help anymore. I use to be so discouraged I never had children but lately I'm so glad I don't have kids, & thrilled my dog is old & sleeps with me. I don't think I could handle a puppy or children

I found one doctor in NY who I'd like to have examine me but he's booked for 2 months

Any tips on how to get my focus on something other than my pain? Maybe I just need a distraction.

Diane
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Diane,

Chronic pain is a tricky condition, but it is definitely treatable so don't give up. You may need professionals who are expert in treating chronic pain. You should learn as much as possible about chronic pain; there is much that people can do to help themselves, and many pitfalls easy to fall into, that you'll avoid if you know about them. Some of the components that have generally been found to be helpful for chronic pain are:

1. regular, appropriate exercise
2. meditation
3. yoga
4. education about your condition and chronic pain
5. staying engaged in activities, recreations, relationships, and other aspects of life.
6. appropriate medication, carefully monitored
7. relaxation training.
8. Appropriate medical specialist consultations; for example, with an anaesthesiologist commonly, who specializes in pain treatment.

You might want to read a book called Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn MD. he also runs a chronic pain program in Springfield, MA. There are a number of in and out-patient programs in larger hospitals.

Good luck! -E. Seigle MD
 problems101 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Today I went for a myofascial release treatment, they are really challenging me to think back to what was going on when this pain started. They believe that it's stress oriented but I hold this stress in my pelvis. Can the mind really do this to me? They are contributing this chronic pain to a time that my dad turned the family business over to me & my sister then died two years later, I don't understand why they think this is a problem, I always wanted the family business, but yes people are more rude now & I do have bad days handling demanding people.

the way they explain things to me, I'm actually feeling emotionally worse, like I'm unfit & I have no desire to go back to a treatment center where I'm the problem, before I had a problem, now it's my fault.

Do you find there is a connection between unrealized thoughts & the body, This is my physical therapist telling me this, maybe I need a psychiatrist. they are telling me the stress is causing my body to be in knots, making me sick but it's not a medical thing.

Does this make sence to you?

|