Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: IS it safe to stay on a high dosage for long periods of time

dlo73 - Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:19 am

My husband is bi-polar manic depressive is on Risperdol 4 mg (3 times a day), Tegertol XR 300 mg (2 times a day), Klonopin 2mg (Once a day) &Temazapan 30 mg (one at night) and for this last month he was given Zeprexa (Once a day) this is medication was added for 1 month only because of his pychoses behavior. I was wondering if it is safe for him to be on these medication for the last 8 months. can you help me I sometimes feel he is maybe over medicated and it does let him be himself could this be possible. He has high and lows. And I have seen a bit of agressive traits coming on again in the manner he approaches people and tries to intimidate them. He doesn't hurt us but only annoy us. My daughter is 12 yrs old and I feel I should leave him sometimes his behavior has changed so much in the past 5 years. Please advise me on the medications dosage, thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

The medications do not sound excessive but if you feel it is having negative behavior consequences, you should discuss your concerns with his doctor. While you would need your husband's permission for the doctor to give you information (and this would be ideal), you can still give the doctor information regarding him even without his approval. In other words, the doctor can receive information about his patient from someone else but cannot give the outsider information without the patient's approval.

Fine-tuning treatment in mental/behavior health can take quite a while, lots of trial and error and good feedback on success and failures. Blood tests do not give the information needed and so medication treatment can only be done through this complex method. Family feedback is very important.

|