News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: IS it safe to stay on a high dosage for long periods of time

dlo73 - Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:19 am

My husband is bi-polar manic depressive is on Risperdol 4 mg (3 times a day), Tegertol XR 300 mg (2 times a day), Klonopin 2mg (Once a day) &Temazapan 30 mg (one at night) and for this last month he was given Zeprexa (Once a day) this is medication was added for 1 month only because of his pychoses behavior. I was wondering if it is safe for him to be on these medication for the last 8 months. can you help me I sometimes feel he is maybe over medicated and it does let him be himself could this be possible. He has high and lows. And I have seen a bit of agressive traits coming on again in the manner he approaches people and tries to intimidate them. He doesn't hurt us but only annoy us. My daughter is 12 yrs old and I feel I should leave him sometimes his behavior has changed so much in the past 5 years. Please advise me on the medications dosage, thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

User avatar Hello,
The medications do not sound excessive but if you feel it is having negative behavior consequences, you should discuss your concerns with his doctor. While you would need your husband's permission for the doctor to give you information (and this would be ideal), you can still give the doctor information regarding him even without his approval. In other words, the doctor can receive information about his patient from someone else but cannot give the outsider information without the patient's approval.

Fine-tuning treatment in mental/behavior health can take quite a while, lots of trial and error and good feedback on success and failures. Blood tests do not give the information needed and so medication treatment can only be done through this complex method. Family feedback is very important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here