News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Bipolar? Schizophrenia? Whats wrong with me?

Kiki_121 - Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:13 pm

hi im 19 years old and im not sure what is wrong with me. ever since i was a kid i've been talking to myself. it's like im in a movie or tv and it feels so real. Theres someone inside of me talking to me and i talk back. Sometimes i get lost in conversations with myself i can't tell if it's real or not. I find it hard to deal with reality, to cope with my problems so i make up my own fantasy where everything is ok and i live in that fantasy for days. When i realize it was all in my head i get severely depressed until i make a new fantasy. I'm always sleeping and when im awake im so bored i go back to sleep. I use to enjoy doing things and now i feel hopeless. I was diagnosed with and anxiety disorder a few years ago so i always have to deal with that too. Somtimes i feel like theres someone watching me and it's really scary. Like theres a ghost or sometimes a car will drive by and i'll hide cuz im scared that someone is looking for me. Im very moody, sometimes im so happy and sometimes im just dead. i yell at people for no reason and sometimes cry for no reason. i lay in bed all day just starring at my wall feeling so alone and dark. i don't know whats wrong with me but i scare myself sometimes cuz i think about doing horrible things and i picture myself doing them. I can't stop talking to this person inside of me and i can't leave my fantasy world or i'll get depressed again. im scared, whats wrong with me?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 am

Hi kiki_121,

It's difficult to make a diagnosis based upon what you have described, as these experiences could come from many conditions or a background that involves a lot of emotional pain, abuse, neglect, or other trauma. My suggestion is that you have a comprehensive mental health evaluation to help you to sort through the experiences inside yourself that you have so articulately described. You sound like an aware, intelligent individual, and I wouldn't assume that you have a severe mental illness. So, I encourage you get evaluated, which should provide a diagnosis, an understanding of what is causing the experiences that you are having, and recommendations as to what treatments are necessary to help you to recover. Don't let yourself go untreated much longer; you could likely be feeling much better with appropriate treatment. Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD
 Stormy94 - Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:25 am

I talk to myself too... all the time. It's like there's another person inside me who is listening. I have these imaginary conversations with myself, and like you said I can get totally lost in them. So I can definitely relate with you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here