News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: scratching and being upset

ksharnas - Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi
I used to cut whenever I got really down. Everytime I get upset I feel like I must. But because I have a bf who tried to commit suicide before and is diagnosed with severe depression and bipolar disorder I do not cut anymore. Now whenever I get upset or we fight and a problem is not fixed or continues and I feel like I cant change it I jump and itch all over. Its like I have bugs on me, thats how I act. I know it sounds stupid but I cant understand?
Is there something wrong with me?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 am

Hi ksharnas,

Often, people who cut themselves when they are upset, and are doing this to cope with intolerable feelings, but not trying to commit suicide, are people who haven't had the chance to learn skills to cope with painful feelings, such as feeling rejected, hurt, ashamed, guilty, sad, lonely, and many others. The cutting becomes a way to "let out" the painful feelings, or it serves as a distraction, a self-punishment, a physical replacement for the feeling, or other mechanisms of dealing with emotional pain. Sometimes, people who have developed this coping mechanism have had some painful childhood experiences that they haven't really dealt with, for example by talking about them in psychotherapy.

I would speculate that when you stopped using cutting as a way to cope with painful feelings when you began your relatioship with your boyfriend, your emotions, needing a way to be expressed, got channeled into this coping mechanism of jumping and itching. I'm sure that you didn't plan this way of coping, but rather just "fell" into it; it may have seemed to have happen on its own.

I would ask if your itching is accompanied by any rash, hives, swelling, or redness. That can happen, much like an allergic rash.

Have you considered seeing a mental health professional who treats people with psychotherapy, such as a psychologist, social worker, mental health counselor, or psychiatrist (latter can also prescribe medication when appropriate)? This may help you to learn safe, healthy ways of dealing with your painful feeling-states, and reduce the necessity of the "jumping-itching" coping mechanism. Are you comfortable with responding with "jumping-itching", or would you prefer to respond in a different way?

Thanks for bringing up this very important and personal issue here. We all benefit by your sharing this.

-E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here