Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Oxycodone effects like antidepressants??

reefshark01 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 am

I'm going to try and make this short. I'm a mildly depressed guy. I've spoken to my doctor about it and he referred me to a specialist and also said that I would most likely be treated with meds and therapy. I never went because I've heard bad things about some of the antidepressants and thought they wouldn't work. And I really fear going to another doctor. Also no motivation.

My depression is mild sometime worse. I've been like this since my early teens. I have no motivation to do things that really need to get done.( I am functional, I have a full time job as a software engineer) I have problems falling asleep and then once sleeping have difficulty waking. I can sleep 24 or more hours If I have no reason to wake. I also sometime have mood swings. I've been told I mignt be bi polar but I never really feel the manic side. At least not unless something really good happens to me. I do have a family history of Bi polar on my mothers side. My grandmother was hospitalize twice when she was young (once after my uncles birth and once when my grandfather passed away). My mother suffers from severe depression.

The real question I have is. Recently I've taken Oxycodone 10mg to 20mg. I wasn't prescribed it and it was taken for recreation only. (being honest) One thing I noticed while taking the drug was I became very happy and motivated. I felt like completing things that I've had no motivation in the past to do. I enjoy speaking to people and just felt happy. I realize taking this drug is something I can't do on a regular basis but was wondering if I could expect similar results with antidepressants? I really for once think the quality of life could improve drastically if I could have the motivation and happiness I felt while taking this drug. Any info would really help. Thanks

My info
27 yo male
I smoke cigarettes (been trying to quit but always fail.)
decent physical condition
I take no medication for anything
I've had no known major medical problems
Fully insured
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 am

Hi reefshark01,

Your experience with feeling happy, motivated, and enjoying normal things in life like social interaction, caused by what is called an "opiod" type of medication such as the oxycodone that you took, is both common and typical. People who suffer from chronic depression such as you often can say things like "I felt happy for the first time in many years". You are of course right on target that it would be quite risky for you to continue to use the oxycodone or other opioids in order to feel good; this would likely quickly lead to a state of dependence/addiction and the big problems that we all know about that accompany this.

The answer to the question as to whether an antidepressant would have a similar effect, is it absolutely could, though not as quickly nor as suddenly. If you have never been treated for depression with medication and appropriate psychotheray, I would strongly encourage you to consider this. People often can feel "normal" or happy for the first time in years, or ever. However, the process of feeling better usually takes at least a few weeks, and often a couple of months. Recovery is gradual and has ups and downs, often. With your family history of bipolar disorder, you may have a risk for future manic-type moods, and I would suggest that you get a psychiatric evaluation before receiving any treatment; you many warrant a different treatment approach than many with depression.

i have found that people such as yourself do best with BOTH of the good and well researched treatments for depression. The combination of medication, along with the two types of researched therapies for depression is often the best approach. the two types of therapies that are well researched for depression are called:

1. Cognitive-Behavioral therapy for depression
2. Interpersonal Psychotherapy for depression.

These therapies both take place about weekly and for about 5 months, and they help people work on changing the "stuck" patterns of thinking, feeling, behaving and relating to others, that often "feed" depression, helping to maintain the depressed state and preventing other feelings from developing (feeling happy, engaged in life, connected to others, motivated about life).

I hope this is useful to you. Thanks for bringing up your issue, as it pertains to many others. Your courage will help others to get help as well.

Good luck! -E. Seigle MD
 reefshark01 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 am

Thank you very much for the reply. I understand what you're saying completely. Thanks again for your help. I think it's great what this site does. Sometimes it's much easy for a person like me to ask question anonymously and get a good opinion from a doctor. It help motivate me to seek help. Thanks again and keep it up!

|