News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Personality Disorders

Vshak - Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Recently, i was looking at someone's video about their personality disorder, and i looked it up. i noticed that i have many of the symptoms. one was schizoid disorder and avoidant personality disorder. I am very gentle to comments people make about me. i always try to avoid too much contact with a person, and i often like to do things by myself and be left alone. i have very few friends, but they are very close to me. i don't feel like i have a need for a lot of social life, i am very indipendant and don't desire attention. i don't like to be the center of attention and i have a tendency of not showing my emotions to other people. when something negative happens i am usually shocked but i don't ever show it. when im alone i get anxiety attacks about things, but i don't show any feelings publicly. many people are under the impression that i don't care about anyhting, but really im a very sensitive person. i also feel a bit paranoid, when there is too much things to handle. but my self esteem isnt very low. i feel as if i am different and have a need to be seperated from the crowd. this has bothered me a lot because i don't know what to do about myself, and i am falling into depression.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Vshak,

You don't need to get preoccupied with whether or not you formally qualify for having a personality disorder; it sounds like you may have some of the traits that those with an avoidant personality style have. People such as this often experience a lot of social anxiety as you do, and often internalize their thoughts and feelings, tending not to show or share them with others. The fact that you have a few close friends would suggest that you have the capacity for close relationships, which people with full-fledged personality disorders tend to have a lot of trouble with.

What strikes me as most important is that you are in emotional distress; your comment that you are "falling into depression". Is this in part because you are feeling somewhat isolated, not as close to others as you wish, are less engaged than you prefer, or have trouble with very initimate relationships? If you are in distress, I would recommend that you seek help by consulting with a psychiatrist or psychologist, asking first to be evaluated for depression and the personality styles that you spoke of, and then to have recommendations. These would likely involve psychotherapy and may include medication, perhaps for depression and/or anxiety.

You sound like a sensitive, thoughtful person who could grow in therapy. Please consider it. Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here